How to Perform the Half Spinal Twist (Ardh Matsendrasan)
Half Spinal Twist (Ardh Matsendrasan)
People in their day to day work do at least some forward and very little backward movements of their spine but very rarely does the lateral movements of the spine and that is why this lateral movement flexibility of the spine is normally the first lost flexibility of the spine. Spinal Twist postures/Asanas mobilize the vertebrae and also helps nutrition to reach the nervous system and roots or the distant parts of spinal nerves.
STEP 1 :
Sit on your buttocks on the middle of the mat towards the left of your legs.
STEP 2 :
Bend the left leg from the knee and place the left foot on the mat over crossed right leg on the floor. Place your right hand behind your back so that very little or no weight is their on the hand. Now raise your left hand straight up and bring it down and hold the right ankle in such a way that right hand passes beside bent right knee.
STEP 3 :
With the help of both the hands try to twist the spine laterally and hold the position for at least 40 seconds. While in the posture/Asan during inhale stretch the spine in upward direction and during exhale twist the spine laterally.
Benefits of Half Spinal Twist(ArdhMatsendrasan):
- Increases spine flexibility and hence the working of the spinal cord.
- Improves neck, complete back and hip joints flexibility and so the posture is very useful in case of slip disc.
- Provides massage to internal organs like stomach, intestine, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and and so helps in diabetes, loss of appetite, constipation, indigestion.
- Pregnant women and women during periods should avoid the posture/asan.
- Should be avoided in case of heart and abdominal surgeries.
- Stomach ulcer and hernia affected people should try the posture with care or under the guidance of a teacher.
- During high back pain one should not attempt the posture/asan.